Mathematical Investigations IV, Spring 2012
Below you will find the daily homework assignments as well as various other useful items. Visit this page whenever you miss class! (Not that you ever will....)
Click on the blue links for additional handouts.
Click on the red links for web resources.
Click on the green links for quizzes, exams, and their solutions.
Jump to the current week.
- Visit the MI4 Fall 2010 web site for examples of previous exams and assignments. Keep in mind that the course this semester may be organized a bit differently, so there will not be an exact correspondence between assessments and assignments. Also, I was not so organized back then....
Dr. Prince's has archived his previous MI4 websites for your ongoing enjoyment.
-  Tuesday, 17 Jan: Please find as many patterns as you can in the given array, and then write in mathematical notation as precisely as possible.
-  Wednesday, 18 Jan: Finish up to and including Problem 13 on Worksheet 2.
-  Thursday, 19 Jan: Finish the Practice Problems on arithmetic and geometric series. And bring Problem Set questions tomorrow! We'll begin class with those.
Chocolate to the first student to solve all of the Daredevil Sequences problems! (BEWARE: No student has ever done this before!)
-  Friday, 20 Jan: Finish up to #8 on Worksheet 4. Be prepared for a Quiz on Tuesday!
-  Monday, 23 Jan: Get ready for your quiz tomorrow! Up to and including Sequences 4.
-  Tuesday, 24 Jan: Finish up to and including Worksheet 8.1.
-  Thursday, 26 Jan: Finish up to and including Worksheet 8.1. No, really.
-  Friday, 27 Jan: Finish up to and including Worksheet 9.1 for Monday. And bring Problem Set questions.
Here is a good resource for practice problems.
-  Monday, 30 Jan: Be sure to finish Worksheet 9 for Tuesday.
-  Tuesday, 31 Jan: Make sure you have your calculators with you today!
Reminders: Early STAPLED (as necessary) Problem Sets due 3:00 Wednesday, Quiz on Thursday, and STAPLED (as necessary) at the beginning of class on Thursday. And here are Mr. Kammrath's notes on infinite series.
-  Thursday, 2 Feb:
-  Friday, 3 Feb: Here is a practice exam for you: Sequences and Series, Fall 2011. And solutions to this exam. (Note: There are a few corrections; see the solutions posted outside the math office.) You will be able to use a TI-30 on the exam Monday. Also, there is no personal finance on the exam Monday.
-  Monday, 6 Feb:
-  Tuesday, 7 Feb:
-  Thursday, 9 Feb:
-  Friday, 10 Feb: Finish proofs #1–4 for Monday.
-  Monday, 13 Feb: Be ready to hand in a proof tomorrow. Also,there is a quiz on finance and induction on Thursday!
Here are the notes on induction.
-  Tuesday, 14 Feb: Meet in the math study area for the quiz Thursday. The induction solution to today's in-class problem is here..
-  Thursday, 16 Feb: Get all caught up! There will be a notebook check next week.
-  Tuesday, 21 Feb:
-  Thursday, 23 Feb: Finish Worksheet 3 for Friday. Bring your laptops Friday, too! Here is some extra practice on the Law of Sines.
-  Friday, 24 Feb: Finish the handout on the ambiguous case for Monday.
Here are solutions to the induction problems on the quiz.
-  Monday, 27 Feb: Please finish #6 and 7 on the practice sheet and #2–5 on Worksheet 4.
-  Tuesday, 28 Feb: You can go to my website and go to Web Resources > Trigonometry for an excellent reference for solving triangles.
-  Thursday, 1 Mar: Be sure to finish Worksheet 4 for Friday (the last two harder problems).
-  Friday, 2 Mar: Download next week's homework assignment.
Finish this inverse trig quiz for Monday.
-  Monday, 5 Mar: Finish Worksheet 7 and the practice quiz (really!).
-  Tuesday, 6 Mar:
-  Thursday, 8 Mar: Quiz tomorrow! Also, assignments due at the begining of class, printed out and stapled. Remember, you must also hand in the signed statement about equal participation (see last week's website).
-  Friday, 9 Mar: Problem Set! Pick it up Monday. But you can START THE ONLINE PART: webwork.imsa.edu/webwork2.
-  Monday, 12 Mar: Finish Worksheet 11 for tomorrow.
-  Tuesday, 13 Mar: Review Session moved to 2:00 tomorrow (Wednesday) due to JHMC.
Also, there will be a quiz Friday on Worksheets 8-11. You can use your note card with formulas for THIS QUIZ. We will let you know about note cards and the exam later.
-  Thursday, 15 Mar: Quiz tomorrow! Please use the online trigonometry textbook for practice. There will be ONE identity to prove, along with other applications of the formulas. Becuase you have a note card, there is a strict 30 minute time limit for the quiz. So be familiar with your formulas! You won't have time to spend ten minutes on each problem figuring out which formula to apply....
Here are some practice problems from prevous exams: with calculator and without calculator. Mr. Kammrath will have solutions posted outside the math office.
-  Friday, 16 Mar: Review Monday! For the Exam Tuesday: NO note card, and YES TI-30.
-  Monday, 19 Mar: Don't forget the Exam tomorrow!
-  Tuesday, 20 Mar:
-  Thursday, 22 Mar: Finish Vectors 2.2 for tomorrow.
-  Friday, 23 Mar: Reminder: Finish Worksheet 3 (except for the word problems on Worksheet 2; we'll do those Monday). Be prepared for a short quiz on Tuesday!
-  Monday, 26 Mar: More practice with vector components. Please finish #1, 2, and 3 on the new worksheet. Be aware that "heading" means the same as "bearing." Make sure to look at Vectors 1.5 in case you forgot....
-  Tuesday, 27 Mar: Finish Worksheet 2 for Thursday. Also, here are Mr. Kammrath's helpful notes on vectors.
-  Thursday, 29 Mar:
-  Friday, 30 Mar:
-  Tuesday, 10 Apr: Be sure to finish Worksheet 5 for Thursday (except the first page).
-  Thursday, 12 Apr: Finish Worksheet 6 for Friday. Bring questions!
-  Friday, 13 Apr: Finish Worksheets 6 and 8 for Monday!
-  Monday, 16 Apr: Finish Worksheet 9 for tomorrow.
-  Tuesday, 17 Apr: Here are some selected answers to the Vectors worksheets.
-  Thursday, 19 Apr:
-  Friday, 20 Apr: Here is your next Problem Set(ish).
-  Monday, 23 Apr:
-  Tuesday, 24 Apr: Please be sure to read the prompt online carefully as far as your project is concerned. It is worth a Problem Set grade as well as a quiz grade.
-  Thursday, 26 Apr: Revised Due Date: The project is due after the extended break!! Be sure to finish Polar 2.1 for tomorrow.
-  Friday, 27 Apr: For the Mathematica notebook for Worksheet 3, go to: Studentserver > public > Math > Mathematica notebooks > MI 4 > Polar > MI4Polar3.nb.
-  Monday, 30 Apr: Finish Worksheet 3 for Tuesday.
-  Tuesday, 1 May: Work up to Worksheet 4.3 for Wednesday.
-  Wednesday, 2 May:
-  Thursday, 3 May:
-  Monday, 7 May: Be prepared for Project Presentations tomorrow!
-  Tuesday, 8 May:
Here is a link for Mack, Lynnette, and Kevin's project.
Here is a link for John and Pratyush's project.
Here is a link for Maria and Anna's project.
-  Wednesday, 9 May: Quiz Thursday up to (and including) Polar 4.3. Notebook check up to (and including) Complex 1 (all of Complex 1 for the early class, up to Complex 1.3 for the end-of-the-day class).
-  Thursday, 10 May: Finish all of Complex 2 for Monday!
-  Monday, 14 May: Finish up to and including Complex 3.2 for tomorrow.
-  Tuesday, 15 May: Finish up to and including Complex 4.1 for Thursday.
-  Thursday, 17 May: Here is a practice test. Here are the solutions.
-  Friday, 18 May: Exam Monday! Go right to the math study area. You'll have a TI-30 for the test.